Re: female bluehead's

Hi Raymond,

They were mine - but alas they did not last very long. A couple of months
back I saw these in a lfs and was like a kid in a candy shop - I forked over
the $12 each for them without spending the cursory 30min or so watching the
fish ( my wife hates it when I do that- hehe ), and took them home straight
away. When I got them home and started inspecting them closely I noticed
small filaments protruding from the anus of both fish when they were still.
These, I was to learn from this mailing list, were probably capillaria
intestinal worms. The 'female' died before I could get a treatment and I
dissected her revealing two large worms and on microscopic examination I
found the insides of the two large worms to be writhing with juvenile worms.
I treated the tank holding the remaining 'male' with levamisole and the
worms disappeared but I fear that the damage done to the intestinal wall of
the 'male' was substantial enough to allow a secondary infection to take
hold and he too died after about a week of purging the worms. So I did not
have the chance to keep them long enough to breed 8-(

I'm not having very good luck with apistos but I am beginning to get the
urge to try them again so I am again on the lookout for some likely
candidates. Any ideas what a good beginners apisto would be ?

regards,

Simon