Re: ACA

Hi all,

Now I agree with George about not making people feel bad, especially since
it was only last minute that I got to go.....and would have been
whimpering as I read any email reports if I hadn't gone.

All that being said, I think I have to at least say a few things.  :)
Just so if you have never been you are tempted, and because this one was a
little different.

It was great to get to see and spend time with several people on the list.
I found I was ducking out of several non apisto speakers to bid in the
silent auction (apistogrammoides), and visit.

In general it was a great conference.  Always things that could have been
better or worse.  I think the Ohio group did a outstanding job.  Some of
the neatest stuff for me was the outside stuff.  Mike's slide talk (170 or
so) apisto pictures that blew my mind, and will of course change the
identification scheme as we know it.  The BEST part was the people and
getting to talk to you all in person.  Next time I would love to set up
with the list/ASG meeting times in advance (ie all meet at a certain local
for dinner on Thur/Fri at 5pm, or informal gathering early in the
convention). There were still lots of people I didn't get to meet and talk
to.  It would also have been just great to have an hour where all the
ASG/Apisto people could just talk about issues with fish, introduce
ourselves, and BS.  (ie after the offical ASG talk...which of course ended
at what...2 am)

There were lots of cool fish, some I had never seen before in the
flesh/live (like jurua, pappagai, diplotaenia, balzfleck)....of yeah for
those of you who missed this part of the auction and I did....a pair of
balzfleck went for $30.  In general the apisto prices, and dwarfs in
general were the lowest I had ever seen at a ACA convention.  I had to sit
on my hands all day....and that included the early part of the auction.
The aggies sold the highest while I was there....in the $30's.  Nannacara
taenia...wild caught...6 per bag $10-20.  Balzfleck...$30.  Early in the
day rare apisto's $30-40.  I picked up 5 diplotaenia fry for $39.  And a
pair of wild rupununi for $9 (at the end).  10--trifasciata..$15-25 a
bag...etc. The pelvicachromis were painful.....P teaniatus Dehane...as
low a $5 a pair..but also up to the $20's, P subocellatus...bags of 6
$15-$20's.  I have never seen fish go that low.  This was definitely an
exception year, and of course if you stayed late....the prices dropped
rock bottom.  It was really hard to see pairs of wild fish go for
$6-20...but no tank space.  Nothing went under $6 dollars.

The really rare, cool fish we bought from peoples room early.  Julio had
some gorgeous fish, I would love to sneak a peak at his fish room one day.

I heard rumors that they may try to get Koslowski out for next year...we
can hope and dream.  His new book may be out by then.   I find myself,
like John, wanting to reserve a room now for New Jersey....can't believe I
may fly to Jersey though.

Here's to the next time I get to hang out with you all!
Now off to study....(I only did get about 5 minutes done during the
auction after lugging 30 lbs of books to Ohio).

Kathy