pH & breeding success; was: testing?

John,

I'll accept that for the most part lower pH values aid in the success of breeding
apistos. It probably has as much to due with lowering the bacterial count as
stimulating the spawning partners. In the wild sudden lowering of the pH is
probably caused by waters invading the forests during the rainy season and
leaching out tannins from fallen leaves. Whether it is the increased rainfall,
increased breeding habitat, or lowering the pH that stimulates them to breed
isn't really known for sure - maybe a little of each.

Your highly skewed sex ratios may actually be the result of there being a lot of
subdominant "sneaker" males. Try separating the males from the group and see if
more of them pop up. If it is truly skewed toward females to this extent, then it
has more to do with the temperature in the rearing tank than the pH in the
spawning tank. Cool tanks (72-75ºF/23-24ºC) tend to produce considerably more
females. pH has some, but not significant, effects on aggies.

Mike Wise