Re: Quiet indeed, so here's a question.

Dan,

Since no one else has responded, I think I'll give you my opinion. Your "whitish
rot-like stuff" seems to me to most likely be a fungus that is decomposing dead
skin - probably caused by a bacterial infection. I doubt that it has anything to
do with the eggs. I would bet that water conditions are not quite optimum and
your hongsloi are picking up a bacterial infection. Members of the
macmasteri-group, like A. hongsloi,  are well known to be more susceptible to
certain bacterial infections. Corys & tetra are much more resistant in general.
Your treatment seemed to be curing the disease, but something in the water was
causing the fish to stress and become re-infected. Since I don't know how you
maintain your fish, this is only a guess. You may be doing proper water changes,
etc. but might be forgetting to clean under caves used by you cichlids. This can
cause "dead" zones where nitrites, nitrates, and even sulfides can build up in
the gravel, stressing the fish. Like I said, just my opinion.

Mike Wise