Re: My fish are dieing, but only the apistos

>     I am new to this mailing list, and to owning Apistogrammas. I did
> bunch of research and I thought I had everything right, but my fish
> still keep dying. I am not trying to breed them, I just want to have a
> pretty community tank that has mainly apistos. I have a 29 gallon tank
> that is well planted and has a bunch of rocks for them to hide in. The
> fish I have are:
>
> 1 violet goby (small)
> 1 weather loach
> 1 L075 pl*co
> 4 angel fish (about 1.5 inches tall)
> 1 butterfly fish
> 2 otos
> 1 female betta (my girlfriend thought she was pretty and made me get
> her) plus my apistos
Hi Eric. Welcome to the list. I'm not sure about the cause of death
of your Apisto's, but I'd be wary of that Butterfly fish. They can be
quite enthusiastically predaceous on smaller fish. Be aware the
Weather Loach may not be too happy at the conditions Apisto's
would prefer.
Also, the Violet Goby may not be too happy with the current pH,
and definitely prefer a sand substrate.
It is frustrating when fish die and you can't find out why. Ensure the
fish you are buying are good quality.
Where are you sourcing your fish from?
Many of the Long fin Rams are bred in South East Asia, and they
are notorious for not thriving once over here. This may be due to the
indiscriminate use of Antibiotics over there in an attempt to bypass
poor husbandry practices.
Sorry I can't shed more light at this point, could you provide more
information on filtration, other foods offered etc.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE
01204 332200