Re: Plant Filter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose J.V. Carvalho" <zecocarvalho@ig.com.br>
To: "Cichlid" <CICHLID@LISTSERV.UH.EDU>;
 "Aquarium" <AQUARIUM@LISTSERV.CC.EMORY.EDU>;
 "Aquarist Freshwater" <FreshwaterAquaria@listbot.com>;
 "Aquarist" <Aquarist.net@listbot.com>;
 "Apisto 1" <apisto@majordomo.pobox.com>
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2000 3:01 PM

Gee, you forgot to crosspost to the APD...

> In the list "Aquariomagia" (in Portuguese) someone asked for means to
reduce
> nitrogenated compounds in tanks, than I remembered of an article in
Aquarium
> Fish Magazine (Lee Newman, June-1997, 9(6), pp. 34-43) on a filter system
> based on terrestrial plants (in the case "Brazilian swords" -
Spathiphyllum
> sp.). I tried this system with a breeding tank of Oscars, with good
results.

> Someone else knows this system and/or have tried anything like this? or
have
> any comments?

Your best bet would be to dive into the various studies concerning the
utilization of natural and man-made Wetlands for waste water reclamation.
Their entire focus is on plants and soils for contamination removal.

A couple of sites to start you out:

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/6840/SoilTreat.html
http://www.wayne-health.org/wc_wastewater_tx.html
http://agri.gov.ns.ca/pt/projsum/95/pr95r03.htm