Re: Apistogramma Spawning Difficulties

Doug,

I've successfully bred both species over the years and will give you my
impressions on both.

As Big John wrote, I too have found that older A. bitaeniata males make the best
breeders - especially when matched with young females. Females are very nervous
when they have fry. My feeling is that young males are too "eager" and harass the
females so much that they tend to eat their eggs/larvae more than most apistos. I
always left a 3W night light on above the breeding tank of females with eggs
because they tended to spook when the lights turned off or no suddenly and then
would eat their eggs/larvae. A. bitaeniata is a blackwater fish that breeds best
at pH <6.3 and soft water.

A. iniridae can be a very consistent breeder if you have the right pair. Like
most pertensis-group species they tend to be very monogamous. I once had a
breeding female ignore 3 other males that I put with her, once her original mate
died. This species is also a blackwater species that needs water similar to A.
bitaeniata.