Re: Your opinion

Frauley Elson wrote:

> As an aside, I just had my third 33 gallon tank lose its silicone seal and empty this
> year. It had never happened to me before, in 34 years of fish-keeping, and now three
> eight/nine year old tanks have popped since June. Today's victim was sp. Sao gabriel
> lyretail, a beautiful apisto. What is this world coming to?
> -Gary

Hi Gary!

What silicone do you use? Is it a brand name or the cheapest possible?
There is/can be a big difference in lifespan between the two. I have
DIY tanks (20-40gal, 80-150 litres) more than 15 years old that still
are going strong.

Another aspect is how much strain you put on the seal itself. A tank
were the silicone only seals corners lasts longer than a tank where
the silicone also acts as "cement" and holds the tank together.

Shame about the fish though, hope you find them again.

/Fredrik