Re: Fish feelings...

In a message dated 11/14/00 4:43:17 PM Mountain Standard Time,
BigJohnW@webtv.net writes:

> I think fish have feelings, or maybe some kind of emotions.   Ever see
>  an Oscar sitting looking sad on the bottome of the tank,  Ever see that
>  look of Almost Joy when you walk near their tank?

 I once read an article by a professional "Fish trainer" (no kidding) who
teaches carp to ring bells for food as part of some tourist trap show.  He
claimed that carp and oscars have the intelligence of dogs, and that oscars
in particular are emotional.  This "capacity for emotion" is in proportion to
the fish's intelligence, and most fish don't come even close to oscars in
terms of smarts.  IMHO, Apistos definitely have personalities that go
slightly beyond instinctive behavior.

I have not, however, seen a female Apisto that had lost numerous spawns to
any cause lose interest in what her genetic code mandates her to do, provided
the proper water conditions and food are supplied.

Bob Dixon