female cockatoo

unlike my female ram cichlid, my female apisto cacatoides doesn't seem to
ferociously defend her clutch.  she either just hides or swims away when the
dither fish get too close.  i thought that female apistos were avid
defenders of their eggs?  would it be a good idea to remove the male, since
he is not helping the female defend the eggs?  his presence just seems to
agitate her but she scares him off pretty well and he goes off hiding when
she comes out...
thanks for any help!
-frank

http://profiles.msn.com.