Re: inbreeding?

In a message dated 18/12/00 07:42:22 GMT Standard Time, IDMiamiBob@aol.com
writes:

> If your oiginal stock doesn't have any bad genes, at least with dwarf
>  cichlids, it doesn't seem to be a problem.  I've kept my cacatuoides going
>  for five generations now without outside infusion of new stock.  I've
heard
>  of reduced reproductive output with cetain killies.

I tend to agree here, but unless you are dealing with wild fish you don't
know how many generations back the parents may be related.  In cichlids like
Oscars and Convicts, for example, evidence of inbreeding has displayed as a
shortening of the gill plates and a general stockiness to the body - two
features that are fairly hard to discern in dwarfs (although I've seen some
very deep bodied line bred cacutoides so inbreeding may be evidenced)

>  It is notable, however, that wild apistos are reported to breed easier and
>  have larger spawns than even F1 offspring.   But the evidence of this is
> more anecdotal than actually studied.

I've noticed that wild Apistos are harder to keep, but given the correct
water conditions easier to breed and when they do are less likely to eat the
eggs, although I've not noticed any real reduction in spawn size with F1, F2
etc.

Perhaps line bred fish sometimes spawn in harder water than wild fish, but a
greater percentage of the eggs (which still need soft water) are lost unless
water conditions are closely monitored, wheras wild fish are less likely to
spawn unless the conditions are ideal for them and their eggs.

If anyone thinks I'm talking BS here ignore me

Alan W