Re: tank bred vs. wild (was inbreeding) spawning

Comments on posts that I generated a few weeks ago, about my a. viejita
spawning failure--thanks, Bob and Gary, for the comments. I kept an eye on
the eggs that I had pulled and left to remain, isolated, in the tank. They
did fungus. So I checked water conditions. Although I sporadically check
water conditions on different tanks at various times, and all were running at
about 60 ppm hardness (my water becomes quite soft in the winter on its own),
this particular tank was at a whopping 120 ppm, for some inexplicable reason.
I couldn't figure out why, (decomposing snail shells?) and rather than dig
out the old r.o., I changed water using distilled. It made little difference.
I ordered an AP TWP, and in the meantime, scrounged up a water softener
pillow I had laying around. It took less than 12 hours to drop the tank to
about 20 ppm (this was not intentional). I placed a terra cotta pot which
they'd ignored earlier, back closer to where they had been spawning of their
own choice. She laid the eggs on the outside of the pot, I noticed maybe 20
eggs. Dad was on good behavior, and both appeared to be attempting to do
their job. I kept a nightlight (about 7-1/2 watts, just enough to dimly light
the area) at night. Today I awoke to find all eggs gone again. I have a few
choices. Do I move the happy couple to a fishless & snailless tank?  They
were basically raised in this tank and feel quite comfortable here. I don't
know how they react after being moved. Would I do better to attempt to catch
the killies and snails and leave the viejita's in place? I'm down to my last
couple, so it's do or die. My options are a 10 gallon tank, currently empty
and virtually snail-less, with a sand substrate and lots of plants, or a 20
gallon which sits under the 29 gal they are currently in, with snails &
plants, and a few slow-moving fish which can be removed. Any suggestions on
this?

TIA,

Sylvia