Re: tank bred vs. wild (was inbreeding) spawning

Sylvia,

Remember that using a sodium ion exchange resin will soften the water but will
increase the electrical conductivity of the water. More and more aquarists are
finding that a low E.C. appears to be more important in successfully breeding
softwater fish than hardness alone. By softening your water with pillows you have
probably lowered the hardness but doubled your conductivity.

Mike Wise