Re: albinos

Mike,

I couldn't agree more!  To each his own, but I've never understood the
attraction for albinic, melanistic, lutinic and other captive-bred
mutations.

Whether we're talking about birds, reptiles or fish, the wild forms are
ALWAYS far more attractive.

Nature's products are so much more interesting than some inbred captive
'sport'.  I don't so much mind triple-red cacatuoides or double-red
agassiziis, but that's about as far as I would ever like to see it go.

One thing to remember about these albino and other such lines is that they
are necessarily inbred.  In order to 'fix' a strain, it is necessary to
breed successive generations back to their own parents.  Maybe I'm just
strange, but something about that bothers me, even in fish.

My older son is very much into captive reptiles, and I just can't comprehend
why an ugly (to me the word hideous comes to mind - imagine a big, white and
yellow slug with pink eyes - the stuff of nightmares!) albino snake is worth
hundreds of times more than it's normally-colored, attractive con-specifics.
  It boggles the mind!

Sorry about the rant!  Hope I haven't completely offended anyone...it's a
good thing I'm not very opinionated! ;)

Back to lurking.....

Scott