Re: FWD: RE: Sick/Dead Cacatuoides

Römer did a study on longevity of apistos and wrote an article on it. In it he
shows that, of 694 specimens of A. cacatuoides that survived to sexual maturity (9
month old), 539 had died by the age of 18 months (78%) and 682 had died by age 27
months (98%). He also notes that a cockatoo was one of his oldest survivors,
reaching an age of over 51 months. Results were similar for other species, i.e.
don't expect your fish to live much over 2 years. Longevity probably depends on
too many factors to separate out the cause. I've found that if I don't work my
apistos like a "spawning mill" that they live longer. Low stress & not overfeeding
are other factors. Still it doesn't entirely explain my pair of wild caught A.
hippolytae that I think just spawned again. I bought them as sexable fish in March
1997. Good charma?

Mike Wise