Re: your mail

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Daniel Gottsegen wrote:

> I remember when a 5.4  (epicenter over the hill from us off Bolinas) hit
> here just as I was changing water a couple of years ago. I had just anchored
> my tanks to studs in the house a month earlier. Water sloshed about, but
> nothing other than that. A good warning to all of us in earthquake
> country... make sure your tanks are properly anchored.

This is a good point.  Since we live in our own house, we have bolted both
our racks to the wall (actually "strapped" is a better description; we
used an angle bracket that is wood-screwed in). There was almost NO
backwash from those tanks. All the water came from tanks on individual
stands.  I noticed that one of the tanks appears to have moved almost an
inch from its normal position on to of the stand.  I'll bet we were saved
by the rack bolts!  In our old 1-bedroom apartment with the rack in the
kitchen, I'll bet the whole thing would have toppled.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com