Re: Newbie....think I made a mess....fish just don't know it yet....

List Memebers,
	This thread is bringing back memories that I had hoped I had supressed.
How many of us out there, with one of our first tanks, went through exactly
what Jeremy is?  Uncompatible fish, too many fish too soon, enough algae to
choke a goat on our first serious plant tanks, etc. (I for one have not got
the algae thing licked yet...grrr). I remember how pretty I thought Jack
Dempseys were and their colors would really go nicely with my tetras in my
first 20g. Needless to say, fat Jack Dempsey and missing tetras were the
results. I decided to learn which fish were compatable.  Then I got to
reading about how different fish live in different levels of the tank.  So,
onto my next catastrophy.  5 danios (top level), 10 Cardinals (mid-level),
5 corycats and a couple loaches (bottom feeders), and 3 angelfish to fill
out the middle and upper levels since the dainios and tetras didn't take up
much space. All the fish seemed happy, when I could see them through the
always cloudy water.  Since I tore the tank down and started over after the
Dempsey mess, I was cycling a tank with 20+ fish...at least the cory cats
survived, so in my mind in wasn't a total loss.  Where was this list in
1980 when I could have used it...
	Maybe by my telling the world this can act as a therapy and the nightmares
will stop ;)

Jeremy,
	Welcome to our world ;) I'm sure almost all of us have been in the same
boat at one time or another.  It is part of the learning curve to
maintaining a well running system.  The only advice I can offer is read
this list and some good books.  You will find that everyone has their own
opinions on how it should be done or how it works for them.  You'll have to
figure out what works for you, using the above resources as starting points
and general guidelines. There are some very knowledgable and helpful people
in here, I'm sure you'll be up and running in no time.  Good luck.

Ken