Re: checkerboards & misc

Thanks for your help.  My water tends to be slightly acidic and the hardness is about 80 ppm.  So, it sounds like its good enough to keep the checkerboards, but not to breed them.

   The checkerboards, by the way were in a tank marked "miscellaneous fish - $1.29 each."  I haven't been back to the store in several weeks so I don't know if there are any left.  They were small & the fins were kind of chewed up.    At home, however, they seem to be coming along well.

On the other fish, I know they are not Steindachneri since I have been keeping Steindachneri.  3 of the four mystery fish unfortunately died in short order.  The other fish in the tank, however, showed no ill effects.

 Matt Diller

>>> apistowise@bewellnet.com 04/08/01 01:41PM >>>
Matthew,

After reading other replies, I feel I should caution you on checkerboards. These fish are hardy in the aquarium  -  as long as your water isn't too hard (> 10º dGH) and acid (< pH 7). Otherwise they are more susceptible to diseases & parasites. If you can't provide moderately soft, acid, water then you'll have problems with them. As for breeding, the other replies are right on.

As for you unidentified apistos, if they came in with Nannacara anomala then they are probably A. steindachneri. This species once was erroneously IDd as "A. ortmanni", but the true ortmanni is very different. They are the bluish species that most often comes in with Nannacara.

Mike Wise