Re: Apisto Predators

I've been reading this thread & found it interesting. Römer describes colonies
of apistos living together with dwarf Crenicichla (notopthalmus) in the Rio
Negro. In these colonies male apistos tended to become more monogamous and drive
the dwarf pikes as far from their territories as possible. The dwarf pikes are
not a threat to apistos over 1" it seems. They prey on fry, small crustaceans &
insect larvae. The main predators for adult apistos are Hoplias malabaricus,
eels, turtles, and wading birds. These animals prefer hunting in shallow waters
where apistos commonly live (God made apistos primarily as chum!). These fish
get too large and would eradicate such a small (16 sq. ft. / 1.2 sq. m) area as
your tank in no time at all. There is a predator that might work, however. Try
the True Leaf Fish, Monocirrhus polyacanthus, from Peru or Schomburkg's Leaf
Fish, Polycentrus schomburgki, from Venezuela & Guyana. These are slow moving
ambush predators. Neither grow much more that 4"/10cm so I doubt that any fish
over 3"/7.5cm would be threatened. Most females and young would be in danger,
however. The question is: do apistos recognize leaf fish as predator, or are
they (leaf fish) too well camouflaged for apistos to recognize? Maybe you could
mix a few leaf fish with a some dwarf pikes and see what happens.

Mike Wise