Re: Apisto Predators

I can't remember whether I've mentioned this on the list before (old age kicking in?), but there is a very interesting display at the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco.

The tank is huge, maybe 6-8 feet deep, about the same width and probably a little longer than that from front to back. For several years they've had a display of good-sized piranha in the tank. What most visitors probably don't notice is that there is a very healthy colony of apistogramma living in the rubble at the bottom! Last time I was there, they were apisto cf eunotus. If memory serves, a few years before, they had displayed sp. rotpunkt. They were of all ages from newly-swimming fry to large adult males. I could've sat there for hours watching the apistos interact, but of course, the kids soon tired of this and wanted to move on.

I can't say whether the piranhas ever preyed on the apistos, they seemed to completely ignore them. They inhabited the top half of the tank and the apistos seemed to hug the bottom, more out of preference than fear.

Just thought it was an interesting display.

Scott