Re: eunotus picture

Rik,

They might because they are fairly closely related, but in different species
groups. I'm pretty sure most hybrids that survived would have deformities in
their fins and scales.

If I am "reading between the line" correctly, you are having problems deciding
whether or not you have eunotus females or Rotpunkt females. This is difficult
for at least 3 reasons: 1) they are closely related species & look a lot alike;
2) there are at least a dozen species that have been in the hobby that are called
"A. eunotus"; 3) there are about a half dozen forms (species?) that may or may
not be Rotpunkt. If you have a Rotpunkt-complex female she will show a series of
dorsal patches (just below the dorsal fin) that are nearly as dark as the spots
that make up her lateral band. If it is an eunotus-complex female the dorsal spot
will be less dark or even just a faint smudge.

Mike Wise