Re: conductivity= water quality explained now KH

Hello again. I have been very encouraged by the
something for fear of "flames". I would like to
encourage the newcomers to contribute. Even if yuo
dont have the complete answer.

Well now to your problem Teresa. I hate to ask for
more information but it seems you do have some
possable contaminant that is causing your KH and thus
your pH to remain high. I reccomend buying some
Muriatic acid. If you pour Muriatic acid over
something and it foams then we know there are hardness
inducing coumpounds present. Once we are sure there
are none we can procede. One way to check is to do the
exact same thing with a tank next to your breeding
tank but have it barebottom. See if the values for pH
and KH come back the same. The key to lowering pH as
many have alluded to is to get a reading of 0 KH we
should get this from our RO or DI or rainwater or
whatever we are using. If not we have to lower it.
Since you are using Distilled water. I reccomend using
maybe 4 gallons ditilled, 5.5 gallons RO ( you ccan
buy RO water at most grocery stores these days from a
machine they have outside or from most petshops) and
then say a half a gallon of tap water. Again testing
is critical. But until you have a reading of 0 KH you
will fight with your pH. Use peat, oak leaves to lower
your KH and pH. Once you have a 0 KH the only chemical
product I reccomend , because i have used it with
success, is Kent pH minus. Yes it does add some
phosphates and organics but your only using like a
pinch to a 10 gallon tank. If you moniter water
quality as you should the effect is negligable.
Another great product is Muriatic acid. But you have
to have a pH meter to use it as only a few drops can
make a major effect. I have given you the choices of
the pH minus and the Muriat acid because they work.
However I would first go with oak leaves or peat
mother natures natural pH and KH reducer. Teresa once
you find whats in your tanks that causing your KH to
stay high then we will be able to lower your KH and
then Lower your pH. Use the muriatic acid to test.
Especialy on your substrate. This problem happned to a
friend of mine a couple of years back. He found out it
was the sand he was using for his aquaruims. One last
note teresa get rid of the rubber pleco he will eat
your eggs!. I hope you are not turned off by you
temporary setback. I am confident you will have baby
Rams if you follow these guidlines. Good luck

Dave