Re: Ram fragility

One of the biggest problems I've seen with rams is the source. Especially
with the Asian bred rams, I've found them to be the frequent victims of
internal parasites. With the help of a friend, we conducted extensive
dissections of rams that died in the lfs I worked for. Almost all of the
fish that died were found to be infested with internal nematodes and other
such parasites. This would certainly explain their tendancy to waste away
when coupled with the stress of being moved about.

I've had no such problems with hobbyist bred stock.

Zack Wilson

hey that's very interesting, thanks for the info. I've got a zillion bettas on a central system and one of their big problems is velvet. I treated the whole system to kill off the velvet that kept recurring and now anytime I bring home a new betta it gets quarantined with automatic parasite medicine before going into the central system. I've been velvet free for a long time now. It sounds like maybe rams should also be treated with parasite meds when brought home just as a precaution.
--

Brian Ahmer
ahmer.1@osu.edu