RE: Determining CO2 Concentrations in Natural Waters and condescension

Erm, can I break in here. I think that the original reference to condescension was an unwise choice of wording. Both sides to this arguement clearly have strong views and are willing to take offence. PLEASE, we don't need another flame war. Before flying off the handle at an unfortunate word, think twice about whether you WANT to feel offended. If so, write to the person off-list and tell him or her how you feel. I understood that Dave was trying to simplify things, maybe he succeeded, maybe not, but I don't think he was trying to talk down to anybody. There are some people here who are chemically impaired, although I went to university and studied chemistry in order to get there, since I was 18 I haven't studied any and both the "complex" AND the "simplified" forms are valid and useful to me.
I know from personal experience how easy it is to misunderstand what may be written on these lists, but also I know how infrequently people actually want to cause offence, (almost?) everybody here is here for one or two principal reasons: to help and learn. Please can we get back to that?
-----Original Message-----
From: David Sanchez <barbax2@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:45:42 -0800 (PST)
To: apisto@listbox.com
Subject: RE: Determining CO2 Concentrations in Natural Waters

Re: "But be forewarned - my reading includes people like
Re: Arrhenius,
Re: Bronsted,
Re: Lewis, Dalton, Henry, LeChatlier, Boyle, Charles and
Re: their ilk. And my
Re: practical experience is approaching the fourth
Re: decade...
Re:
Re: "Get some of your "college buds" to explain things to
Re: > you - especially the
Re: > big words."
Re:
Re: And your saying I was being condescending?
Re:
Re: Very Funny. My point was I think it would be nice if
Re: you stayed on our topic and explained it. All I saw
Re: was your explanation of pH. This we can read in a
Re: book. Our discussion was about the need or lack there
Re: of a CO2 injection system. Using allot of words to
Re: talk about pH was not in my opinion on topic of the
Re: need for a CO2 system. You simply went on and on about
Re: pH. I can read that in my Chemistry book. Tell me why
Re: and how you have applied it. That I did in my post.
Re: >
Re: \
Re: I am particularly unimpressed by your lack of
Re: > participation in this
Re: > discussion."
Re:
Re: Actaully David I am very unimpressed by your
Re: understanding of the subject we are talking about, You
Re: indeed know your pH terminology and everything you
Re: read in your books but in my opinion you have failed
Re: to apply it and more importantly explain your argument
Re: regarding the need or or the lack of need for a CO2
Re: system.  Anyway in truth I dont care about this topic
Re: and I am very bored with it. I have too many fry to
Re: feed,too many water changes to do, too many fish to
Re: breed, and too many fish I want and that I need to
Re: work on aquiring. I am up this late because I have
Re: been working on my fishroom and I am ready to hit the
Re: sack. To me it dont mean squat if you aint breeding,
Re: growing plants etc. My fishroom is overflowing with
Re: fry, and my planted tanks are overflowing with plants.
Re: Not to say that you are not just saying my methods
Re: work and are tried and true.
Re:
Re: Dave Sanchez
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re:
Re: --- "David A. Youngker" <nestor10@mindspring.com>
Re: wrote:
Re: > > From: David Sanchez
Re: > > Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 12:43 AM
Re: >
Re: > > Perhaps I shall explain this relationship in
Re: > !'plain !'
Re: > > English so the rest of the group can understand. I
Re: > > think for the purposes of this audience we should
Re: > > proceed in a more practical matter...
Re: >
Re: > Fine - talk down to the group I credited with some
Re: > intelligence. Perhaps
Re: > they'll enjoy this condescending attitude.
Re: >
Re: > So much for an "academic" discussion...
Re: >
Re: > > It seems you have used allot of big words david
Re: > > but you have failed to explain anything in any
Re: > > practical sense...
Re: >
Re: > Get some of your "college buds" to explain things to
Re: > you - especially the
Re: > big words.
Re: >
Re: > And here's some other multi-syllable words for you
Re: > to work on in parting:
Re: >
Re: > "I am particularly unimpressed by your lack of
Re: > participation in this
Re: > discussion."
Re: >
Re: > And with that, I believe I'll just return to my sick
Re: > bed. I think the
Re: > fever's got me hallucinating now, as I thought I
Re: > could be of some
Re: > assistance...
Re: >
Re: > -Y-
Re: >
Re: > David A. Youngker
Re: > nestor10@mindspring.com
Re: >
Re: >
Re: >
Re: -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: > This is the apistogramma mailing list,
Re: > apisto@listbox.com.
Re: > For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe
Re: > or get help,
Re: > email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Re:
Re:
Re: __________________________________________________
Re: Do You Yahoo!?
Re: Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo! Auctions!
Re: http://auctions.yahoo.com
Re:
Re:
Re: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...