Re: Agassizii breeding assistance needed

Jerry your an old pro man lets face it! :) Honestly
though Apistos and Cichlids in general are easy to
breed. Food, water changes and environment. No
secrets. Now move to some of the Tetras, Killies and
catfish and then your skills as a fishkeeper begin to
be challenged. That is all good but what fish give us
the array of complex social behavior and enjoyment we
get from our wonderfull Apistos! I guess we should be
happy they are so easy to breed. I still get athrill
when I see a shoal of fry being led by a attentive
momma Apisto. I just had a group of Dicrosus I was
raising up spawn. Wow I was so pumped when I got home
to find the cluth of eggs. I have another male doing
his little dance with the females. Sometimes we foget
about the old favorites. D.filamentosus is one of my
all time favorite dwarf Cichlids I love how majestic
they are. I have a group in a 30 long with a dense
cover of Riccia, a thick cover of oak leaves on the
bottom, misc pieces of drift wood all over the tank
with Anubias and java moss to round out the tank. I
also have a little school of H.formosa that seem to
look very similar in pattern to the Dicorsus and have
joined them as a group in many ways! I want to set up
a community here and just let the Dicrosus liveout
their lives and observe and leran more about them
here. I also have that pair I spawned in a 10 gallon
tank so I can be sure I get plenty of fry. When i was
in College I bred Dicrosus in a 2.5 gallon tank. This
happned because I had very little soft water and it
was in high demand. I put so much java moss only a 1/3
of the tan had any open area the female bred in that
area on the leaf of a Cryp. I removed the male and she
raised her young in that tank. Once we understand what
is going on we can do allot of things. It all comes
from observation. Much like what Mike W said. Well
good nite Just feed the fish and finshed my water
changes time for bed!

Dave Sanchez