Re: Evolution in a microcosm

I found your use of the word "fit" very illuminating, because fit for us (aquarists) can be very different from fit for a natural environment, those fish which are not fit for the aquarium will not live or not breed, those that are not, will. We change what is necessary to be fit by keeping our fish. Those that are in the wild will have different criteria.
C:-)lin

----- Original Message -----
From: Zack Wilson <aquamaniac@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 18:43:53 -0600
To:  <apisto@listbox.com>
Subject: Re: Evolution in a microcosm

Re: That is correct Greg. We are evolving (evolution basically means change) a
Re: given species when we selectively breed. We are just putting an intelligence
Re: to a process that naturally occurs and breeding for specific traits that we
Re: like, rather than what makes for the most fit specimen. However, we have to
Re: be careful when wording this. We are changing this species to fit our
Re: fancies, but it is all still change within the species, we haven't created a
Re: new species. At least I don't think so. What's the latest definition of
Re: species? It's gotten a bit vague in recent times.
Re:
Re: Zack Wilson
Re: Enjoying my day off.
Re:
Re:
Re: For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
Re: email apisto-request@listbox.com.
Re:

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...