From: "Jody" <fishbox@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:33:59 -0600
To:  <apisto@listbox.com>
Subject: Re: discussion

Re: Actually, this discussion has been rather tame so far (let's keep it that
Re: way).  If you want to see some raunchy behavior, just go over to the
Re: talkorigins newsgroup.
Re:
Re: The gripe I have is that evolution is taught as fact, when in actuality
Re: there are so many holes in the theory that it just doesn't adhere well
Re: together.  The shortcomings of the theory are never taught to the students,
Re: and therefore, they are not allowed to come to their own conclusions.
Re: Documentaries abound on TV showing men dressed in ape suits that are
Re: supposed to convince the watcher that the whole thing is true.  But, you may
Re: say, what about all those ape fossils?  Henry Gee, chief science writer for
Re: Nature (and an evolutionist), has pointed out that all the evidence for
Re: human evolution between about 10 and 5 million years ago "can be fit into a
Re: small box." According to Gee, the conventional picture of human evolution as
Re: lines of ancestry and descent is "a completely human invention created after
Re: the fact, shaped to accord with human prejudices." Putting it even more
Re: bluntly, Gee wrote in 1999: "To take a line of fossils and claim that they
Re: represent a lineage is not a scientific hypothesis that can be tested, but
Re: an assertion that carries the same validity as a bedtime story - amusing,
Re: perhaps even instructive, but not scientific."  I realize that this
Re: statement by Gee does not end the argument, but it summarizes the point that
Re: the fossils alone don't prove anything, especially when there are so few.
Re: And he is an evolutionist!
Re:
Re: The ape-to-man problem is at the end of the evolutionary tree, but there is
Re: bigger problem at the beginning of it - the origin of life.  Although he is
Re: a microbiologist and not a molecular biologist, I'm sure Brian is familiar
Re: with the issues.  Basically, the whole process depends on chance.  Chance
Re: that simple molecules combine to form complex molecules, chance that complex
Re: molecules combine to form simple organic molecules (amino acids), chance
Re: that simple organic molecules (amino acids) combine to form complex organic
Re: molecules (proteins), chance that complex organic molecules (proteins)
Re: combine to form DNA.  Remember, when combining probabilities you multiply
Re: the chances together, not add.
Re:
Re: Regarding amino acids, about half of the 20 amino acids required for life
Re: have been re-created in laboratories.  But, there are problems with the
Re: methods employed to create them, and the usefulness of the end products.
Re: These problems (which I will list if necessary) preclude the assumption that
Re: these amino acids could be produced naturally, or be of any use to continue
Re: the process of successfully (yet randomly) combining together to form
Re: proteins.  A small protein may have 100 amino acids linked together, but
Re: they have to be in a certain order to be useful.  And proteins do not
Re: willingly combine together on their own.  They are manufactured naturally
Re: inside cells by information contained in the DNA of the cell, with RNA
Re: actually carrying the load to the cell workstations where the proteins are
Re: manufactured by combining amino acids in the proper sequence.  DNA is
Re: obviously a very complex protein in and of itself, so if it carries
Re: information to make the proteins, what made it?  Answer:  it happened by
Re: chance.  We are to believe that the most complex protein came together by
Re: chance with the job of then making simple proteins.  It's the cart before
Re: the horse, chicken and egg thing on a molecular basis.  Actually, DNA, RNA,
Re: and the workhorses within a cell would have all had to come together by
Re: chance simultaneously for anything to work!  Cells are not the lumps of
Re: protoplasm that Darwin thought.  Instead, they are miracles of
Re: micro-machinery that can only function as a complete unit, where the
Re: components alone are not useful.  The warm pond of prebiotic soup is a dead
Re: theory.
Re:
Re: The next step is to go from the chance formation of DNA to the simplest
Re: genome in an organism made up of about 482 genes, or 500,000 base pairs.
Re: I'll save that leap of faith for another discussion.
Re:
Re: -Jody
Re:
Re:
Re: ----- Original Message -----
Re: From: "Brian Ahmer" <ahmer.1@osu.edu>
Re: To: <apisto@listbox.com>
Re: Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 6:20 PM
Re: Subject: Re: discussion
Re:
Re:
Re: > I want everyone to know that I haven't been offended by anybody's
Re: > remarks and I hope I haven't offended anyone either.  (Although I
Re: > probably could've phrased things nicer!)  I respect jody, zack's, and
Re: > everyone else's opinion and I've actually taken the discussion off
Re: > list.  As with some other people, one or two of my emails never got
Re: > through and it's probably better that way.  If another email pops up
Re: > from me on the subject, note the time stamp because it's probably an
Re: > old one, and it doesn't mean I'm still going.
Re: >
Re: > I just truly think people evolved and cave men invented gods.  With
Re: > this belief, it is hard to watch the world blow each other up over
Re: > religious issues.  And if I'm right about this stuff, it would be
Re: > almost criminal to not try to at least open a discussion on it.  It
Re: > would be like watching somebody get mugged and not stopping to help.
Re: > I guess the bad side is that it really does piss some people off to
Re: > hear such "blasphemy" (oh my!).  Feel free to contact me off list if
Re: > you want to continue the discussion.
Re: > --
Re: > Sincerely,
Re: > Brian Ahmer, Ph.D.
Re: >
Re: > ============================================
Re: > Assistant Professor
Re: > Department of Microbiology
Re: > The Ohio State University
Re: > 376 Bioscience Building
Re: > 484 West 12th Ave
Re: > Columbus OH 43210
Re: >
Re: > 614-292-1919
Re: > ahmer.1@osu.edu
Re: > http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~microbio/ba.html
Re: >
Re: >
Re: > For instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe or get help,
Re: > email apisto-request@listbox.com.

--

C:-)lin

They said "Smile, things could be worse." So I smiled, and sure enough...