Re: snacking viejetas

John,

I don't know if I have an answer for this. Dead, unfertilized, eggs usually
fungus very quickly, even in soft & acid water. In fact in blackwater areas
fungi do most of the organic decomposition that normally is done by bacteria in
more bacteria-friendly waters.

It does appear that your eggs were fertile but something stopped their
development. I can think of 2 possible reasons. One is that something in the
water or the tank have poisoned the developing larvae. This could be metals,
like my zinc example with trout, or some organic compound. The other possibility
is that your 'pair' are not the same species. Crossing very different species
commonly produces nonviable offspring. Sometimes this occurs as infertile
spawns, but can also be seen in arrested fetal development.

Mike Wise