Re: Floating plants for a breeding tank?

Tomoko,

My personal favorite was Water Lettuce (Pistia sp.). The surface leaves are
broad and shade the bottom well. The roots are very bushy, like miniature
versions of those of Water Hyacinth. Unfortunately most don't do well in an
aquarium because they need strong light & a humid but not wet air layer on the
floating leaves. I once had a batch that did wonderful in aquaria as long as
the water level was about 3-4" (7.5-10 cm) below the tank lid. Sadly I lost the
strain during a busy time in my life. I haven't been able to get one to grow &
produce like that one since.

Mike Wise