RE: a stupid question (tagert vs. dither)

I'll apologize in advance should this turn out to be a duplicate post.  The
original one doesn't seem to be getting through.

Bill wrote:

"I waited to see if someone else jumped on the killies as dithers issue.  No
takers so far so I'll take a stab at it, even though I haven't much breeding
experience.

"Some killies are peaceful enough and habituat the upper level of the water
column, two factors that one would look for in a dither.  However, most
killies are shy and tend to hide in the weed or dark recesses of the tank
nor do they school. This, of course, are not traits of a good dither.

"One of my favorite killifish, Aplocheilus lineatus is an exception as it's
not shy, and it's fairly common.  It can sometimes be found in your local
fish store as "Golden Wonder Killie."  But it's also large enough to gulp
down copious amounts of fry.  I have kept them with apistos with no problen,
but not in a breeding situation.  A slightly smaller killie that can be
easily sourced from a killie nut is Epiplatys dageti.  It, too, hangs near
the surface and is peaceful.

"There may be others as well.  Lampeyes, a category of irredescent killies
from Africa, do congregate in schools.  But they tend to enjoy fast moving,
highly oxegenated waters.  Some of the smaller species mught fair well in an
Apisto breeding setup, but I don't know if they'd be preditory towards the
free swimming fry.  Plus they are not that common.  But I would add that it
would be a very impressive tank! "

Bill Vannerson

I'm glad you brought this up, Bill, about the African Killies...  I've
always found Killies interesting but have never gotten into them... yet.
I'm interested in so many fish, ya know?  I can't have them ALL!  :D  (But
I'm tryin', I'm tryin'!!!)

Glanced at the recent article in AFM on Killies and caught the word "Africa"
there...  Well, I guess I'm a gone-er...  Gotta have Killies...  I'm
planning on doing a biotope in my 45 with Pelvacachromis subocellatus and
had planned on getting Congo tetras - *until* I learned of the African
Killies.    Like you, I thought this would be a stunning combo.

I've six wee Sub's, and depending upon what happens, the Killies will either
be dithers, targets, or 'ornaments.'  I'm hoping the latter...  I've two
pulchers in there currently and they're not in need of dithers or targets,
and I hope the Sub's will follow suite.  At this point I'm more interested
in the biotope idea, and the creativity involved, than I am breeding the
Sub's.  So I'll have alot of leeway.

I'm running two AquaClears - a 300 and a 200 - on the tank, rigged up with
BioBalls, the AC sponges, and pillow stuffing - and am planning on having
2-3 different genera of plants.  So the "fast moving, highly oxengenated
waters" - particularly near the surface - will not be a problem.  As of this
writing, with very limited investigation thus far, the only problem is "they
are not that common."  Bummer.

green