Re: unknown fish

Dave,

Like I said, IDing a female apisto is difficult. I am basing my ID mostly on the
size & shape of the caudal spot and that it was supposed to be a Peruvian fish
(A. cacatuoides). The caudal spot is more of a vertical stripe (tall & narrow)
than that of most regani-group species. A. piauiensis, for example has a more
rectangular to oval caudal spot. The lateral band of A. piauiensis is also
narrower. Archie's fish appears to have some very faint dark abdominal stripes.
A. piauiensis doesn't really have abdominal stripes. It has rows of reddish
scale edges in males, not seen on females. A. piauiensis is the easternmost of
the genus, coming from the Atlantic coast of Brazil. This is about as far away
from Peru as you can get.

I find it unlikely that the 2 species were mixed, but it does happen. Look at A.
sp. Paraguay III in Mayland & Bork's book. That fish IS A. piauiensis even
though it came from Paraguay with A. borellii. Marco Lacerda told me that fish
collectors often take fish across borders. Apparently some piauiensis from
Brazil got mixed with local borellii in Paraguay exporter's tanks. The same
probably occurred with A. sp. Paraguay I which is a caetei form. Caetei-like
fish are only known from around the mouth of the Amazon & Rio Tocantins
drainage, not the Paraguay system.

Mike Wise