Re: Apistogramma moae

Dave,

I doubt that they are the real A. moae. This species hasn't been distributed
commercially that I know of. Everyone who has the true A. moae got them from
Elsässer's original fish. I would imagine that the commercial 'A. moae' is
actually A.cf. moae (Nauta) from Peru. This is a color form of the fish that
Koslowski introduced as A. sp. Schwarzbrust (Black-breast). Having said this I
must admit that there is always the possibility that they actually are the true
A. moae. Several new fish coming from the upper Juruá are now coming into the
country.

Mike Wise