moae vs. eunotus

From what I've read in aquarium literature and from examples I've seen in aquarium photos, the shape of the dorsal (front, top, back) are apisto features that can be used for species identification (or "disqualification" of candidate species, to be precise). As I compare the back of the dorsal between eunotus and moae males (mature males), I find that it trails to (or even past) the back end of the caudal on eunotus, but on moae it extends only to about half-way along the caudal. This feature distinction is consistent in photos found in Römer, Linke/Staeck ('84 and '94), and Mayland/Bork, and Richter. Unless someone has some population info that contradicts this, I'm sticking with the books and what I see in the photos.

But assuming that the shape of the back-end of the dorsal is not a species specific feature, then what would you use to visually distinguish the rare moae from the common eunotus? And to drive the point home, if someone says he has moae, he ought to know what feature(s) his has that distinguishes it from eunotus -- otherwise how can he say he has moae !?

--Randy