RE: Beginner needs help! (Was: High density fish tank)

One of Paul Loiselle's monthly AFM columns examined the issue a couple of
years ago. As I seem to remember, the gist of it was a difference in
instinctual cues: one, for instance, goes "heads down" as a submissive pose
while the other turns "heads up". I would imagine that the flurry of poses
and displays of mating could often be misinterpreted (maybe even more so).

He suggested caution in mixing the two, but as usual with a "cichlid" column
the type of fish under discussion were of the more aggressive varieties.
I've kept the two (Apisto and Pelvi) before, but don't ever remember mixing
them because I usually don't keep Africans where I could have South
Americans - they're more of a first-rate substitution when Apistos are
lacking wherever I may be. Having observed the behavior of both, though, I
don't see where it's necessarily "doomed to failure". You would stand an
even greater chance of success if the mixing occurred with young specimens.

_But_...

If your intent is to mix them into a densely populated tank, then I would
show some mercy to the Apistos by dedicating them to their own tank. You can
compromise with a pair or two, but a whole population might be too much for
the Pelvis to figure out. Nor will the Apistos wait around while they do, so
the Pelvis might just have to tear into a few or more to get the point
across, if you get my drift...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com