Re: Difficult females

Tomoko,

Your female aggie seems to have a very high brooding instinct. Many apisto
species will 'brood' their food. A. borellii are especially well known for
this.

Your female should make an exceptional mother, but she appears to have claimed
the entire tank as her own. Any other apisto, male or female, will probably
find the same fate as the previous males. You need to get her away from her own
territory. I'd suggest setting up a breeding tank, one that is set up
differently for the one your female is now in. You could just re-decorate the
tank she is in but you will have to put her somewhere else for about a week.
Put a new male in the tank a week before adding the female. This gives him time
to claim the tank as his territory. If the female is ready to spawn, then
everything should be OK. Once she spawns take the male out of the tank before
she decides to trash him. This is opposite of what I do with normal females,
but yours is highly territorial.

Good luck,

Mike Wise

BTW I missed you not being at the ACA. So did Yamazaki's book :-(