Re: A. sp. "Smaragd" yes?

Sarah,

I totally agree with David on this. Based on your written description it is
impossible to even determine to which species-complex in the regani-group your
fish belongs. Colors, other than the dark markings, are generally not useful
for identifying apistos. Regani-complex species will show a lateral band
(sometimes broken) separated from the caudal spot by light interstitial area.
The caudal spot is usually tall and narrow, almost band-like. A. geisleri
(Emerald/Smaragd) shows this feature very clearly, along with prominent
abdominal stripes. If your fish shows a more oval caudal spot, then it most
likely is not Emerald & your guess that it is Steel Blue/Blue-head/New Blue is
a good possibility. One thing in your favor for them being Emerald is that this
form comes from the area around Alenquer, Brazil, like the agassizii are
supposed to be.

Regarding your question about this fish crossing with
Orange-tail/Orangeschwanz, all I can say is that apistos in the same
species-group are more likely to cross than with forms from different
species-groups. The Steel Blue is a probable example of this. We still can't
say for certain that is is a resticulosa-complex X caetei-complex cross yet.
The original fish (called New Blue in Japan) might be highly color-bred
products of a single species, but we can be fairly certain that the European-
produced fish are crosses of at least 2 caetei forms. As long as you have a
male Orange-tail with your unknown fish I doubt that there will be any
crossing. The females Orange-tails will naturally breed with their own males.
But if the only male in your tank is your new fish, then all bets are off.
Then, 'any port in a storm' might apply.

Mike Wise