Re: new aggie

Eric,

The large mouth bass is a fairly recent introduction into most lakes within it
present range. Only 12,000 years ago it was probably restricted to the SE USA,
east of the Mississippi River. Everything north of there was under a 1000 feet
or more of continental glacier. Much of its present distribution is due to
human relocation of the fish to lakes that didn't even exist 500 years ago.
Before humans entered the picture there were very few natural lakes, mostly
oxbows along rivers. Then not all species change at the same rate. Genetic
studies by Farias, et al. (2001. The cytochrome b gene as a phylogenetic
marker: the limits of resolution for analyzing relationships among cichlid
fishes. J. Molecular Evolution 53: 89-103) show that the genus Apistogramma is
an extremely rapidly evolving genus. This agrees with some of the geologic
evidence that the Amazon Basin has changed radically over the past few
millennia.

I will say one thing for big mouths. Nothing beats the thrill of seeing the
lips of one surround a surface lure that slowly swirls down into the sucking
gape of a 5 - 10 pound bass.

Mike Wise