Re: payaminonis???

Archie,

You make it sound so simple, and I wish it were. Unfortunately apisto genetic
identification is a fairly low priority on the geneticists' interest scale. The
time, effort, & expense is now considered better used on more economically
useful studies. I know of 3 studies going on with certain groups of apistos,
but not the whole genus. All are underfunded & understaffed for the task we all
want to see done.

One useful method of DNA study would be to determine if different populations
of similar looking forms are actually genetically the same. That would put to
rest a lot of the 'cf.' problems we have now. Now all we have to do is get
specimens directly from the sources, and someone with the time, money, &
interest to do it.

Mike Wise