Re: Ap. cf gephyra?

Pär,

There are 2 other possible species that come from the Rio Negro & belong to the agassizii lineage. A. cf. pulchra (Rio Branco) is almost identical to A. pulchra from the Rio Madeira. It has an entirely spotted round caudal fin, but
otherwise looks much like A. gephyra. Neither A. gephyra nor A. cf. pulchra have 2 lateral spots, however. To tell the truth, the only agassizii-like species from the Rio Negro that has 2 lateral spots is A. elizabethae. When young,
the males have round caudal fins. It then develops extension in the middle part of the posterior caudal. Eventually they elongate & fuse to form a lance-like caudal fin. Males of this fish, however, have long anterior dorsal fin
lappets. I think you would see them if they were there.

Now for the interesting part. Several years ago a Japanese magazine published a picture of a mature male apisto that looks like A. elizabethae, except it had no dorsal fin extensions! The authors speculated that it was a specimen of
A. elizabethae with a damaged dorsal fin. I do not know if this is true. I enlarged the picture & digitally enhanced it. I could see no indication that the dorsal fin was ever damaged. Perhaps it is a fish with a damaged fin, but it
could also be a new form intermediate between A. elizabethae & Taeniacara candidi.

Please send me photos when you get them. I am very interested in seeing them. BTW if everything works out, I may be speaking in Savanger, Norway in February. Maybe we can meet there.

Mike Wise