Re: L. flavilabris

Ron,

I don't know anyone who keeps this fish. It is not considered a 'commercially
desirable' (whatever that is) fish in Peru. The only specimens that I ever knew
about came in like mine, as contaminants, or brought back by hobbyist
collectors. Yes they were very mellow fish for their size, and spawned at the
drop of a water change but needed A. nijsseni-like blackwater conditions to
produce viable fry. Their main problem is their basic colors. Photos in
Southamerican Cichlids III, p.44, are accurate representations of this species.
Out of breeding season they are basically clay yellow fish with some brown to
black markings & pale blue unpaired fins. It is most striking when guarding
eggs, when the face turns black. If you can't find this fish I recommend that
you try Laetacara sp. Orange-fins / Orangeflossen. This is a very closely
related species from the Rio Negro/Orinoco. It is similar in size, shape &
finnage, and more colorful too. Occasionally it is commercially available.

Mike Wise