newbie hello, and a question...

Heya folks...

Cichlid newbie here, finally took the plunge after about 10 years of "regular" community type fish recently...

anyways... just curious about something...

I've got three young kribs (as yet unsexed) in a 40 (ish) gallon planted community tank, and have noticed that one in particular has been doing something which i've never seen a fish do before....

I have a small chunk of driftwood in the tank, and this little "guy" will go up to it, put his mouth on it, then jerk away suddenly, and then repeat this action, again and again...

now, is he biting something off it, or is he scratching himself against the wood? there are plenty of rocks in the tank as well (with a liddle bit of algae on them that a bristlenose pleco keeps mowed down) but i never see "him" do it to them, it's always just the lump of driftwood...

any ideas?
should i be worried about some parasite onset or is he just getting some fibre to keep himself regular? ;)

thanks in advance,
Louie