Leaves

I know that the theory goes that oak (or beech) leaves can act in a smilar way to peat, my question is whether there are any other alternatives. I CAN get oak leaves but I'm not sure whether species is important or not. As you may know, there are many different species of oak and I suspect the ones that we know of for our fish are those species that grow in temperate zones. My worry is that the forms available to me in Spain may not work in the same way.
So, can I use chestnut, plain tree or any other leaves instead of oak or beech? The three mentioned above are the most readily available to me.
BTW the main reason for wanting to put leaves in my tanks is not for the acidifying properties but as cover for my fish. Acidifying is better but I'm not too concerned other than that I don't poison my fish.