Re: Leaves

I believe that oak & beech leaves are used because their leaves tend to acidify the soil in areas where these trees live. Their leaves tend to have more tannins in them those that populate neutral to alkaline soils. This acidifying effect reduces the number of decomposing bacteria, so they do not disintegrate as quickly. Oak & beach are used more for their acidifying properties than anything else. In the Amazon a large proportion of leaves forming the bottom
'leaf litter' come from various species of fig trees, but I would not recommend them for aquaria. Fig leaves tend to decompose slowly but, because they contain a milky latex-like sap, they can be toxic to fish. That being said I imagine you could use any leaf for leaf litter as long as it was safe. I even have a cedar stump that I use in one of my aquariums (I do not recommend this!). When first used (after curing for over a month) it still released
chemicals into the water. If I did not do water changes 2 time each week the water would look like strong brewed Orange Pekoe tea. All I could see of the Neon Tetras were their blue stripes. All my acid loving tetras loved it. Red Phantom Tetras literally glowed, Lemon Tetras became bright yellow, & Rummynose Tetras had glowing red extending back beyond their gill covers. Neon Tetras regularly group-spawned in the middle of the tank (caviar for everyone!).
My only suggestion is to not use any leaf with a milky sap and test the leaves on a fish that is more expendable first.

Mike Wise