Re: Sex Ratios (and E-mail Test)

David,

I don't know if you can equate plants & animals. Animals are much more mobile &
will not need the delay of 1 sex over the other to disseminate their genetic
material. Römer has not only studied the physical effect, but also the
ecological effect of temperatures on sex determination in apistos - both in the
laboratory & the wild. He found that 26ºC/79ºF was the optimum temperature for
most apistos. Higher & lower temperatures retarded growth & maturity. He also
found that primary predators on apistos tended to prefer higher & lower
temperatures, so for some reason 26ºC has few predators. Römer has a good review
of his study in his book "Cichlid Atlas" (sections 4.2.2.1 through 6). It can
explain his ideas better than I.

Mike Wise