Re: Easier Apistos To Start With - Suggestions

Mike,

With your water you should be successful with all, but the black water species. Big John might be successful with A. nijsseni, but his water is closer to natural water than is yours. Try species related to A. agassizii, A. caetei, A. macmasteri, A. borellii, & A. eunotus for starters. Avoid fish that come from blackwater biotopes like A. bitaeniata, A. nijsseni & relatives, A. pertensis & relatives, & species from the Rio Negro.

Mike Wise

Mike McGrath wrote:

Hi everyone -

I just rejoined the mailing list since I am getting back into my fish. Three
or four years ago I bread some cacatuoides several times and I really
enjoyed it. Later I was able to breed some pelvicachromis pulchers. Had fun
with that too.

Anyway there is an auction this weekend in Minneapolis and I am fairly
certainly someone will be auctioning off some Apistos, Laetacara or
Pelvicachromis.

What are some of the easier breeds to raise? I have fairly decent water.
When I did the reading a few days ago it was a pH of 6.8 (falling from the
initial setup of 7.2), dKH of 4 and a dGH of 7. I'll be starting CO2 soon
for the plants so I am sure the pH will fall some more. Anyways looking for
some ideas. I would hate to grab a trio or what not and find out they are on
the difficult side for breeding.

Thanks for the help.

Mike McGrath
fish.silver-fox.us