N. taenia

Hello,

Gary E. wanted to know about Nannacara taenia (sorry about the late
response).

I can't say that I know much about them myself - mine are shy, but I
have 6 of them in a 10 gal (with some cardinal tetras). I give them a
lot of cover, and they hide a lot.

One of my apisto gurus (David Soares) has a bunch breeding in a large
apisto community tank, and he says his are mean as hell. We both keep them
in very soft water (10ppm or so) and at low pH (5-6). Mine are all
fine, but no breeding - I'm sure the tank is way too small (I also
havn't noticed a tremendous variation in dorsal/anal finnage either, so
my sex ratio could be problematic as well). I had a pair of A. "4-stripe"
in a 10 gal, and they grew to a very large size,
but they wouldn't breed until I recently moved them into a 40 gal
community tank (David told me to give them a bigger tank, and he was
right).

Anyway, I hope that was some help. I've had them for several months and
the largest one is still only 1 1/4". Neat little guys - they look alot
like little N. anomala females but with added horizontal striping along
the body (and no orange color).

I know taenia are supposed to be from Eastern Brazil, but I can't
remember what else comes from that area (I'm wondering in what kinds of
shipments the taenia could be found as contaminants, for those of you
who also have a "thing" for little brown fish and want some of these).
I got mine at a wonderful store in SF called Ocean Aquarium. Justin Hau,
the owner, had tried to get A. "tucurui", and he got the taenia sent
instead.

Can't quite decide if I'm lucky or not on this one (boy those "tucurui"
are nice).

Lisa

============ Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying =============