Apisto aggression

Pete Johnson wrote:

>Regardless of the exceptions, I think nijsenni are among the most
>aggressive of the Apistos. I'm intrigued that they appear extroverted --
>they don't stay in hiding, as do most of their genus. The other end of
>the spectrum is A. norberti, which in my experience hide all the time.

I just had*** A. nijsseni and A. norberti in nearby tanks (pairs in each
tank, 10 gallons each), and I found different behavior.  The nijsseni did
not even notice the neon dithers in the tank, and while the stray Betta
imbelis cohabitating there was not seen often, I never saw her chased
around the tank.  The nijjseni themselves wrestled a bit with each other,
and changed dominance about every 5 days.  First, they were male dominant,
then female (I thought this would be the start of spawning, but it was
not), then male, then female again - spawning this time.  I never saw any
evidence of fin damage, but the aggression was enough to send the lesser of
the two into the plants for a day or two.   I don't know the source of the
nijjseni, but they were store bought, so the chance for wild caught is low,
right?  And for clarity, these WERE nijjseni, not pandurini, which I get
from another local store (of course, mislabelled as nijjseni).

Similarly, the norberti I have had for about a month like to tussle quite a
bit.  This has, so far, been male dominated exclusively.  This was a
surprise to me, as the male was a bit beaten (last in the tank) and the
female was in good shape when I first bought them.  He got better quite
quickly, and now rules the roost.

I don't disaggree that nijjseni are more aggressive than most apistos, but
I have not seen the "terminator" behavior some of you have discussed.

 I like to think of hiding places as distinguished between two types;
"real" hiding places - where the truley afflicted go to completely avoid
the aggressor (and typically die due to stress or wounds if you don't
eventually separate them) and the "hide in plain site" hiding places.
 These are where the afflicted wants a little cover, so as not to seem like
such an obvious target, but yet wants to know what's going on, as well as
"test the waters" to see when the mood has swung back to something a little
more tolerable.  The later situation is perfectly safe and healthy, the
former, of course, is the first step towards the lonely heart club.

This is definitely the way both these species have acted for me.  The
afflicted nijjseni would typically find a spot high up in some bunch plants
back about 2/3 of the way in the tank, and keep an eye out for an
opportunity to interact peacefully with the other.  At feeding time, the
afflicted would come out and gingerly root around, typically being chased
back by the other when he/she became too obvious.

The norberti are the same way, though the female does not even hide so
carefully.  She typically keeps something between her and the male, but
otherwise tries her best to live out a normal life.  Interestingly, if the
male comes straight at her, she will flee.  If he comes from a direction
where she is not initially aware of him, she will get pinned down and WILL
NOT flee.  Under these rare conditions, he typically stops short, turns
broadside, and "flares" for display.  He'll then turn back around, at which
point she typically takes off and he follows - looks like he is chasing
her, but is it pursuit instead?

One thing I have "found" recently (I think many of you out there will scoff
that you "found" this years ago) was that my apistos show much more lively
behavior when I use a thin (1/4 - 1/2") gravel bed in the tank, rather than
my typical bare-bottom.  I decorate the tank with pots, caves, plants the
same way, but that brown gravel seems to take the shyness away.  I see all
of my apistos regularly - I could'nt say that 6 months ago.  When I first
purchased the norberti, I put them into a 15 gallon bare-bottom tank with a
bunch of Betta edithae while I set-up their 10 gallon.  They were there
about 1 1/2 weeks, and they were as shy as could be.  I did'nt see them at
all the first 2 days, and the only cover was a sponge filter and a few
shards of pot no bigger than the fish themselves. Within a day of
introducing them to their current home, complete with gravel (yes, and with
the same B. edithae), they took over and now can be seen at all times.  I
have gradually shifted all my tanks over to gravel bottoms for my dwarfs.
 My only concern is if these tanks will be harder to maintain in the long
term.

*** I say had, because I have problems keeping Nijsseni alive.  As with my
usual luck, this pair lived about 3 weeks, spawned once, turned around and
died with little outward sign of problem.  The female had come with a bad
spot on her head, but it had not gotten to critical stage yet.  The
remaining Nijsseni at the store I bought them from are vibrant and alive -
living in tap water yet!  Meanwhile, my pandurini live and love, in soft
water, tap water, whatever.  But that's another string altogether.

----------- Reminder: Kindly quote parsimoniously when replying -------------