Re: dithers (was pingu guppies) -Reply

William Vannerson wrote:

> I'd love to find a good killie as an Apisto dither.  What about
> Cynolebias nigripinnis or some other S. American killie to
> keep the species from the same continent?

Hi William,
	me again. I wouldn't try cynolebias because they don't seem to run
much. They challenge, at least for a second, and that is a mistake for a
dither to do. The pterolebias were amazing. they pack-hunted the
cacatuoides fry, taking apparently coordinated turns diving down on the
gaggle of apistos and drawing the mother off. It was like a nature
documentary in my own little basement. Rivulis may be too slow and lazy
in their movements - I'd be afraid to try it unless I had an awful lot
of juvenile rivulis. I can't think of a South American killie suited to
a career in dithering.
	African killies have worked for me - in fact I often grow out juveniles
by using them as dithers for pairs of apistos in 20 gallon tanks.
	gary