RE: Newbie Questions -Reply

>>The plstic plants wont have any effect on your water
quality either way so if you like them...keep em.<<

I've been back in the hobby for a year now, but I still consider
myself a newbie.  This question is one I have asked myself
as well so I'  post an answer to Heather and expand on my
*philosophy* a bit.  Be forewarned that this will go a bit
beyond the question of plants.

- --On soap box--

I use plastic plants and with some Watesprite.

IMHO keeping healthy plants in a tank can be as challenging
as keeping fish.  They need attention and care too.  So I
decided to concentrate on the fish first then work into plants if
I feel up to it. (Also , I have a *brown* thumb).

The Watersprite is a recent addition that I decided to try
because I was told that it's VERY easy to maintain.  So far,
that's proven accurate.

Anyway, the point is do what feels comfortable for you.  There
are advantages to having live plants in a tank but they do
require some time and energy.  Don't feel compelled to take
on too much at one time if you're not comfortable with the
idea.  It's your hobby... enjoy it.

BTW the same holds true for water chemistry.  I was a bit
intimidated when I first came back by talk of R/O and pH and
hardness, etc.  Most fish will do well under normal tap water
conditions (neutral ph and moderate hardness).  There are
exceptions and the African rift lake cichlids are among them.
But the key is that they will survive.  Inducing them to breed
is a different matter that most likely will require additional
attention to water , diet, environment, etc.

My recommendation would be to start basic.  Don't try to
incorporate too many new variables to your skill set at one
time.  Then start adding new items to the mix, like adjusting
the water chemistry or learning how to culture of BBS (if you
don't already).  Separately, none of these aspects are
exceptionally difficult, the problems I've encountered is
weaving them into my life along with my other responsibilities
of family, house and work.

So if all of the variables and activities seem to be piling up
then buy the plastic plant if that's more comfortable for YOUR
success and worry about adding live plants later.  Or if you
think you want to take a stab at it, go ahead.  If it works,
great.  If not, don't worry about it and enjoy the fish.

- --Off soap box--

Bill Vannerson
McHenry, IL USA
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/William_Vannerson