Re: water question

Hello,

I have a water question myself regarding raising & spawning Apisto's.  We have
a water softening unit which uses resins.  Thus the water is soft coming
out of
the tap and we have a carbon unit in the water softening system so there is no
chlorine and I am able to do water changes from the tap.  The water is now
soft
but it is still high in disolved solids so far as I know.  Could someone
explain
the exchange process used in water softening systems and tell me if this water
will work for Apistos and other South Americans or do I need to go to RO
water?

Some help on the water chemistry and reactions of various dwarf species to
those
water conditions would be much appreciated.

At 02:40 PM 11/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>	I've been pondering a water question, and I thought maybe Wright or
>another list member with water chemistry knowledge could help.
>	My source of soft water has temporarily dried up. As I did changes last
>night, I increased the hardness of a few 'soft' tanks.

			(SNIP)

       William M. Groth
       groth@ruf.rice.edu
       Senior Staff Auditor